Thursday, February 3, 2011

After Radiation

Well I finished radiation last week Friday.  I still have a little bit of the radiation burn thing happening - they say it can last 2 weeks post treatment.  I still am using "diaper rash" cream on my head!  It works to stop the burning...not the best look though!

It has been a discouraging week for me.  I've had 2 platelet transfusions and still no luck with them sticking around.  Today I had a "special" batch just for me (anti-CMV, etc, etc).  My CancerCare doctor talked today with a leading chemo doctor as to the best platelets to give me.  Thus I got the special batch.  The staff here say they always come back.....but for us special people it always takes longer.  Oh yeah, I am getting another 2 units of packed cells over today and tomorrow.  My hemoglobin dropped to 78ish - this morning we knew that it was low - I felt weak and tired.  Doug called Kim (my nurse at CancerCare) and she said "come on down" - it was just like being on The Price is Right - no cars - just blood products as prizes!  Again a big thanks to all the blood donors out there!  Keep up the good work!

I've thanked all my drivers a few times already but today we also thought we should thank all our kids drivers - whether it is to or from school or choir or sports or anything else, you know who you are and we really appreciate you taking such good care of them to get them where they need to go when we can't and making them feel so welcome - thanks so much!

That's all for today.  Thanks to everyone for all the love, support and prayers you continue to send our way - you have no idea how much it means to us!

Love,
Karen and the gang