Tuesday, March 15, 2011

March 12 - "A Delicate Flower"

It was back and forth to CancerCare only twice this past week.  On Monday I had more platelets - they only fell to 23 but there were platelets in house that would only last 'til Tuesday so instead of wasting them they topped me up - just like adding a litre of oil I guess!

Friday was a difficult day.  It was to be my PICC line insertion day - something I was looking forward to.  Finally no more IV pokes/blood draws.  After several attempts and what felt like days they were unsuccessful.  Apparently I have very "tiny vasculature" - thus the "delicate flower" heading!  So now the plan is to have a more invasive Porta Cath insertion done in the near future.

On the positive side of things I have been feeling pretty good - it is amazing how one's body can compensate - the first time my hemoglobin dropped I felt dizzy and weak.  Today with my hemoglobin of 82 I feel "normal"...whatever that is.  Another blood transfusion is planned for next week.

On the family side of things the kids both got excellent report cards and passed their swimming levels.  I am so very proud of them and was able to give them a hug.  It has been a difficult few months around here and they seem to be pretty resilient to the ups and downs that seem to always happen.

Thanks as always for everyone's thoughts and prayers and calls and visits (which are really special now that I can have visitors again).  It's taken a few days to get this post up but another one will follow in the next couple of days.

Love
Karen