Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Field Trip Day (Sunday Feb 27 - I know it's late!)

Today I got to go to CancerCare for an all day outing.  Doug diligently packed my lunch and back pack this morning and sent me on my merry way for a marathon of blood and platelet transfusions.  It was either that or come in today, Monday and Wednesday.  My ride was on schedule and they will be back when I give them the word.  So far the platelets are done and I am half way through the first unit of packed cells.  I got here at 0800 and should be done by 2:30 or 3:00.

As the hematologist predicted my bone marrow is still suppressed by the chemo and it will be a long recovery process.  I sense I'll be back for more blood products.  There was good white blood cell activity though.  On the good side my neutrophils are still slowly climbing.  I just need them to rise by 0.02 to get out of the bubble zone!  Rise, PLEASE rise!  I also have some other various blood levels that are actually getting better too!

Other than feeling very tired and a little light headed (the blood will fix that today) things are picking up.  Although it may seem at times like it isn't!

I have a follow up MRI later this week to reassess the tumor.  Dr. S told me not to be surprised if it has not changed in size, as often they don't - the radiation and chemo destroys the genetic make up of the tumor.  He looks more at symptoms and most of mine have resolved or gotten better.  So this week I am hoping and praying for a good MRI report.  We will keep you posted.

Once again thanks for all your thoughts, prayers and support.  As soon as I get the OK for visitors (next blood work is on Tuesday) I will be making calls!  Miss you and love you all so much!

Love,
Karen